please clarify "virtual hosting"

George Toft george@georgetoft.com
Tue, 26 Dec 2000 08:01:00 -0700

Not much, really, IF you use the right software.

IMHO, what you are asking is outside of their cookie-cutter mentality.
Yes, it is easy, but will they do it?  We did this all the time at my
last job (a web hosting company).  IF they are set up to do it, all
they have to do is run a script (less than one minute including login,
and that's for a slow typist).

It all comes down to money and stats.  What you are asking is outside
of the 95% of requests that they are set up to handle.  It is easier
to say no than to spend a couple hours setting it up.  If they pay
their SysAdmin $50/hr (salary + benefits) and it takes him/her two
hours, they are out $100.  How long will it take them to recover $100
from your account?  Ten months?  It's not worth it to them because
that's how long it will take them to recover their investment,
meanwhile, they've lost out on the revenue they would have collected.
They would rather say no, or even let you go than to embark on a
venture that sets them back ten months in revenue.

If enough people ask for it, which puts the request into the 95%
category, they'll set it up, or lose business to those who will set
it up.

At my last job, that one minute (one time) script brought in $10/month.
I had the account set up script automated, and that brought in anywhere
from $50-$300, depending on the account.  One minute of my time made
the company $50-300.  Pretty cool.

George