Convert .mp3 to .wav

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Sat, 23 Dec 2000 17:58:43 -0700

On Dec 23,  3:09pm, Rick Rosinski wrote:

> I am looking for a command-line utility that will allow me to convert .mp3
> files to .wav files.  I tried mpg123 and did not see a wav file option.  I
> also looked in the CD-Writing HOWTO, and it described how I can create .cdr
> files from mpg123.  I just want to make .wav files.

You can use xmms to write to disk if you want.  (It creates .wav files.)
Just right click on the the application to bring up the menu.  Then
choose Options->Preferences to get the preferences dialog.  (Ctrl-P
will also bring this up.  Then click on the Audio I/O Plugins tab.
Look in the lower part of the dialog and you'll see where it allows
you to choose the output plugin.  At this point, pick the disk writer
plugin.

Another way to do it is to use mpg123 to produce raw PCM output.  Simply
pipe this into sox with the appropriate options to create a .wav file.

Kevin