Linux and Toshiba

J.L.Francois jlf@magusnet.gilbert.az.us
Sat, 23 Dec 2000 11:13:17 -0700

It seems like on Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 12:19:14AM -0700, Nicholas Draven scribbled:
Orig Msg> Hello all.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg>     I recently was tasked to install Linux on a Toshiba Satellite laptop.  So far I have not been able to get Linux installed since the cd-rom does not recognize the Linux boot sector.  I have found this to be true also to some degree with the a-drive.  When I do get it to boot, there is a problem with the video, just going blank.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg>     Has anyone here installed Linux on a Toshiba?  Any good hints? Also, if there has been success... which distribution?  I have been to slashdot, and freshmeat, and have not seen that much said, nor the Toshiba website.  Anyone know of any other good resources?
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Nick

I am currently writing this email from an SSH session from a
Toshiba 100CS laptop. Its the same one I bring to PLUG meetings
when I remember to grab it.

I installed with Debian so I did not have the CDROM problems you
are seeing since no CDROM is needed.
It was a 2 Floppy boot/install and the rest was done via NFS and APT.
You get a chouce of NFS/FTP/HTTP/APT and a couple of others when
you do a Debian install.

Have you looked the the Linux Laptop FAQ?

Jean Francois - JLF Sends...
President & CEO - MagusNet, Inc., MagusNet.com, MagusNet.Gilbert.AZ.US
MagusNet, Inc. - Design * Develop * Integrate
Director Of Managed Services - OpNIX,Inc., www.opnix.com
OpNIX - Simply Better Bandwidth
602-770-JLF1 - Cellular, ICQ:  8137851
My Certifications: http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=1214021
Doing my part to educate the Clubie Illiterati.  One LART at a time!