ppc Linux

William Karl k.karl@asu.edu
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 06:48:05 -0700

--Boundary_(ID_CZTIZvevjyeEAiqqXf7nVg)

Hi Joel,

I've recently tried a bunch of distributions in an effort to get one to work
on a PowerBook 3400c. I had little success with LinuxPPC 2000, YellowDog, or
Suse. Debian, however, was great. The install went well. Once you get used
to apt-get and some other stuff (I'm a Slackware user!) it seemed to work
fine. Debian includes a lot of nice stuff for laptop users. I'm selling the
PowerBook but if I could afford to keep it I'd stick with Debian. I also
began looking into BSD. They seem to have solutions for PowerPC but I'm not
sure how mobile-centric they are (I love laptops).

There are some general headaches that go along with Linux on a Mac. Just
think though, you get to learn about old world vs. new world ROM!!! ;^)

Cheers, Kirt

W. Kirt Karl
Technology Support Analyst Assistant
Student Computing Services
Information Technology
Arizona State University
k.karl@asu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Joel Dudley [mailto:Joel.Dudley@developonline.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2000 8:53 AM
To: Plug-Discuss (E-mail)
Subject: ppc linux

what is the best PPC distribution for mobile macs? In each of your opinions
of course. I recall somebody with the Sequoia school running linux on their
powerbook  and it looked pretty spiffy. We have an exec here at work looking
to do the same. Thanks.

Joel Dudley
Unix System Administrator
DevelopOnline.com
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the
story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is
about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock,
he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for
centuries."
- Dr. Robert Jastrow, Founder Goddard Space Flight Institute

--Boundary_(ID_CZTIZvevjyeEAiqqXf7nVg)

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: ppc Linux</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Hi Joel,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I've recently tried a bunch of distributions in an =
effort to get one to work on a PowerBook 3400c. I had little success =
with LinuxPPC 2000, YellowDog, or Suse. Debian, however, was great. The =
install went well. Once you get used to apt-get and some other stuff =
(I'm a Slackware user!) it seemed to work fine. Debian includes a lot =
of nice stuff for laptop users. I'm selling the PowerBook but if I =
could afford to keep it I'd stick with Debian. I also began looking =
into BSD. They seem to have solutions for PowerPC but I'm not sure how =
mobile-centric they are (I love laptops).</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>There are some general headaches that go along with =
Linux on a Mac. Just think though, you get to learn about old world vs. =
new world ROM!!! ;^)</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Cheers, Kirt</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>W. Kirt Karl</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Technology Support Analyst Assistant</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Student Computing Services</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Information Technology</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Arizona State University</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>k.karl@asu.edu</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>From: Joel Dudley [<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:Joel.Dudley@developonline.com">mailto:Joel.Dudley@develop=
online.com</A>]</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2000 8:53 AM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>To: Plug-Discuss (E-mail)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Subject: ppc linux</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>what is the best PPC distribution for mobile macs? In =
each of your opinions</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>of course. I recall somebody with the Sequoia school =
running linux on their</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>powerbook&nbsp; and it looked pretty spiffy. We have =
an exec here at work looking</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>to do the same. Thanks.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Joel Dudley</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Unix System Administrator </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>DevelopOnline.com</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>----------------------------------------</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&quot;For the scientist who has lived by his faith =
in the power of reason, the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the =
mountains of ignorance; he is</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls =
himself over the final rock,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been =
sitting there for</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>centuries.&quot;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>- Dr. Robert Jastrow, Founder Goddard Space Flight =
Institute </FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>

<P><FONT =
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>See <A =
HREF=3D"http://PLUG.phoenix.az.us/navigator-mail.shtml" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://PLUG.phoenix.az.us/navigator-mail.shtml</A> if =
your mail doesn't post to the list quickly and you use Netscape to =
write mail.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Plug-discuss mailing list&nbsp; -&nbsp; =
Plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2><A =
HREF=3D"http://lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss" =