PLUG: Linux Server on Modem

Keith Smith keith@christianexchange.org
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 02:46:56 -0700

I've obtained a static IP address from my dialup provider hoping to
experiment with setting up and configuring a Linux server, to gain
experience before I take the big plunge at collocating.

My questions are these:

Since I will not be connecting via NIC, I do not need to configure it and
all I need to do is:

1) Change my Domain Registration to point to my IP address as primary DNS.
2) Configure my own DNS to point to my domain with that IP address.
3) Add an MX record to my DNS to pint to my Domain so I can use Qmail (I
think I need an add-on to make this work).
4) Configure Apache with this Domain/IP combination.

Am I on the right track ?
Anything else?

-->> Now what happens to my mail if I'm only connected 5 or 6 hours a day?
Will it bounce or find it's way while I'm dialed in?

All input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith Smith
520.298.2227