remote printing with pap

Eric Richardson eric@milagrosoft.com
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 10:43:59 -0700

Hi,

I have netatalk working and I can send a postscript file to the printer
using pap and it prints fine. The setup is a local area network with one
switch and the printer is connected to the TCP/IP network with a
Ethertalk to localtalk bridge. The printer also works fine with a Mac on
the network.

I am running SuSE 6.4 and a tried using the yast or whatever to setup a
remote printer with no luck so then I tried to use info on the net to
get close with the printcap file manually. I can't understand the print
filter chain and how this works with the printer daemon and the remote
printer.

Below is a transcript of what I think might be important. Any help would
be very much appreciated.

Eric :-)

maxwell@maxwell:~ > cat /etc/printcap

lp|nec95|Silentwriter 95:\
	:lp=/var/spool/lpd/nec95-lp/null:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/nec95-lp:\
	:lf=/var/spool/lpd/nec95-lp/log:\
	:of=/usr/lib/atalk/filters/ofpap:\
	:if=/usr/lib/atalk/filters/ifpap:\
	:tf=/usr/lib/atalk/filters/tfpap:\
	:pd=/var/spool/lpd/nec95-lp/nec95.ppd:\
	:ar:bk:mx#0:\
	:tr=:cl:sh:

maxwell@maxwell:/var/spool/lpd/nec95-lp > ls -la null
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root       3,   1 Oct 19 07:10 null

maxwell@maxwell:/var/spool/lpd/nec95-lp > ps -ef | grep lpd
root       244     1  0 08:58 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/lpd
root       247   244  0 08:58 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/lpd
maxwell    552   511  0 09:45 pts/0    00:00:00 grep lpd

root@maxwell:/var/spool/lpd/nec95-lp > cat status
waiting for lp to become ready (offline ?)

maxwell@maxwell:~ > cat .paprc
# Apple Printer Access Protocol (PAP)
Silentwriter 95:LaserWriter@*

This file is also in the spool directory as well since pap needs this
file.

maxwell@maxwell:~ > pap printcap.ps
Trying 840.85:128 ...
status: idle
Connected to Silentwriter 95:LaserWriter@*.
Connection closed.

So this works fine and prints the file.

maxwell@maxwell:~ > lpr printcap.ps
lpr: connect: Connection refused
jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.

root@maxwell:/etc/rc.d > ./lpd status
OK
root@maxwell:/etc/rc.d > ./lpd stop
Shutting down lpd
done
root@maxwell:/etc/rc.d > ./lpd start
Starting lpd
done

If I remove everything from the queue and restart the daemon this is
what happens. Notice this time that the lpr doesn't refuse connection as
above.

maxwell@maxwell:~ > lpr printcap.ps
maxwell@maxwell:~ > lpq
waiting for lp to become ready (offline ?)
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
1st    maxwell    44   printcap.ps                           14807 bytes

I get cf and df files but the files just never print.

root@maxwell:/var/spool/lpd/nec95-lp > ls
acct	       cfA045maxwell  dfA045maxwell  log	null
cfA044maxwell  dfA044maxwell  lock	     nec95.ppd	status