Pros and Cons of Unix

George Toft george@georgetoft.com
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 05:41:56 -0700

Tooting my own horn:
http://georgetoft.com/thesis/results
It is an ex post facto (i.e., non-experimental) research into the total
cost of ownership for NT, Netware, and Linux that I did for my grad
school thesis.  There were not enough responses to draw conclusions
about Solaris, HPUX, or any other Unix variant.  Scope of the research
was limited only to use of the above operating systems as workgroup
servers.

Ownership than other operating systems.  This directly contradicts one
piece research performed by Microsoft and Compaq.  The slick part of
their research (and the disclaimer appeared in a very obscure part of
the document) was they added the cost of a PC into the cost of a Unix
workstation as the user needed to perform routine office productivity
actions usually assigned to PC's.  Of course, when you compare the
cost of a PC to the cost a PC plus a Unix workstation, PC's are cheaper.
Anyone else see a flaw in that logic?

If you don't like my paper, at least look at the references.

For all of the Pro-Linux people out there, figure 25 is the one that
most people are interesting in.

George