OpenBSD

plug@arcticmail.com plug@arcticmail.com
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 22:36:41 -0700

Heh.  I remember reading somewhere (/.?)

   "There's nothing special about BSD.  It's just plain Unix."

and the response from a *BSD user:

   "Exactly."

> Never have I seen such outstanding man pages.

This is one feature that I really like about
*BSD--consistency, especially in the documentation.

When you get a chance, take a look at

   http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/

specifically, section 11.3.6.

Another helpful site is

   http://www.freebsddiary.org/

These sites are oriented to FreeBSD, but I've found
that a lot of it applies to OpenBSD as well.

Now on to your answer.  If something is not
available as a pre-compiled package (perhaps
because of licensing issues), chances are
that it is available in the ports collection.

Find the ports tarball on your OpenBSD CD, or
better still you can download the most recent
ports tarball from

   ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/ports.tar.gz

and untar this under /usr.  I don't have the
OpenBSD ports tree available to me, but OpenBSD
did "borrow" its ports collection from FreeBSD.
On FreeBSD, you would do the following to
install MySQL 3.23 using the ports collection:

cd /usr/ports/databases/mysql323-server
make
make install

You could just do "make install", but I prefer
to run "make" separately.  The following actions
will happen AUTOMATICALLY after your "make"
command:

1.  The pristine MySQL tarball will be fetched
    via FTP, HTTP or CVS.

2.  A checksum will be performed on the tarball
    to ensure it is same tarball that the port
    maintainer used when he created the port.

3.  The tarball will be extracted.

4.  The port maintainer's patches will be applied
    to the pristine source files.

5.  MySQL will be configured and built.

After you run "make install", you should
see "MySQL" when you run "pkg_info".

If you have multiple boxen that you want to
install MySQL on, type "make package" after
"make install" to create pre-compiled .tgz
that you can use with "pkg_add" to add MySQL
to your other systems.

"man ports" for more details.

HTH,