DHCPD madness

Blake Barnett Blake.Barnett@DevelopOnline.com
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 09:37:48 -0700

There is no need to use DHCP with Cox, I have been using my IP
statically for over 6 months.  If you need the info for setting it
static, just get a connection once on DHCP and record everthing;
netmask, DNS servers, gateway.. etc.  I don't know anyone that would
prefer to have a dhcp address.

On the other hand, if you are using the non-persistent cable modems,
the ones that require you to dialup for connection.  (lame idea IMO.)
 Then static may not work.  In which case, I'd check the archives for
the list, because there were some good solutions a while back on
this.

* Blake

- -----Original Message-----
From: Craig White [mailto:craigwhite@azapple.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2000 9:18 AM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: RE: DHCPD madness

> I'm running RH 6.2 with DHCPD and I don't have that route and my
> Windows box grabs an IP just fine. Is this sothing new to the
> package?
- ----
I run dhcpd on many servers and have never added the 255.255.255.255
route
to the serviced lan on any of them and they all acknowledge and issue
IP
addresses to all Macintosh, Windows & Linux computers without
hesitation.
Perhaps there are some versions of dhcpd that require the route to be
manually added but certainly, not the version of dhcpd distributed by
redhat
since 6.0

Craig
- ----