Traffic on blocked ports...

Jay Kalafus plug@kalafus.com
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 14:42:48 -0700

I guess I didn't state my question well.....   Why would a web server
that I was connected to try to gain access to those ports?

If I am surfing Slashdot all of my interactions with that web server
should be between port 80 on slashdot's server and the port the on my
box that initiated the connection.  There should be no traffic from
their server to these ports.

Why would slashdot want to get a connection to my SQL server (I don't
have one.. ) or to NFS ?   And yes, I have seen this traffic come from
slashdot as well as other popular websites.  And it is always to ports
2049 and 1433 not any others.

Jay...