Masquerading problems

Datawolf datawolf@uncultured.org
Sat, 09 Dec 2000 14:24:16 -0700

I have a dumb suggestion: try "ping -n" instead of just ping.  This will
turn off reverse DNS lookups.  The description you're giving sounds like
what happens when ping (only on Linux) tries to do reverse lookups, and
if the DNS request times out, it does wierd things.  It seems really
stupid, but the ping times are increased by DNS timeout time.  And it
tries to do the lookup for every single packet.  Here's an easy check:
are the icmp_seq numbers consecutive for the pings that work?  If so,
they're all making it through, but they're all taking a really long
time, and queuing up for their shot at a DNS lookup.

I'm told this is a feature, not a bug.  <shrug>
--
Datawolf