File Splitting

jkenner@mindspring.com jkenner@mindspring.com
Thu, 07 Dec 2000 20:17:30 -0500

Uhh, what version of split are you using? Last I checked, all versions of split I had run into split files by linefeeds, and only some supported the -b option (mostly, the newer ones).

Are you positive about this? If so, is it a recent lobotomy, and is it common?

plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us wrote:
\_ How are you splitting your files, I am in need of away to take a large plain
\_ text database report and break it up into small pieces.

In this case, split isn't your friend, since it doesn't care about
line breaks, which, presumably your plain text database does.

Try successive runs of tail and head, or the following perl script