NetBSD

Mark Peoples gascsd@gascairlines.com
Thu, 07 Dec 2000 15:21:23 -0700

I use the various families for various tasks...

FreeBSD - web, ftp, dns, mail
OpenBSD - kerberos authentication
NetBSD - IDS

NetBSD seems to run better on 486s than Open or Free, but probably because
the code is smaller.

I've had better experience with FreeBSD handling higher loads (probably
because there is more influence from WC CDROM/BSDi) and SMP (again, the
WCC/BSDi influence).

And then there is Open.  =)  Open just plain kicks ass...but I lost my damn
CD.  <g>  Actually, this is pretty sad, but I think I hid it, and now I
can't find it. heh heh

The BSDs call all do the same thing, but each one has its claim to fame.
Free is probably best for servers (like ftp, web, blah blah) that encounter
a heavy load. Open is good for systems that need to be extremely tight. Net
is good for portability...like for the toaster.  <g>

I don't prefer one BSD over another, but prefer a particular one for a
particular task. I've only run them on x86 processors, and have worked more
with Free than Net, but they all equally kick ass and take names.  =)

marco