Compiling Net::SSLeay on HPUX

Don Harrop Don Harrop <don@nis4u.com>
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 09:00:14 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Kevin Buettner wrote:

> On Dec 6,  5:06pm, Don Harrop wrote:
>
> > >ld: DP relative code in file /usr/local/ssl/lib/libssl.a(s2_meth.o) -
> > >shared library must be position independent.  Use +z or +Z to recompile.
> >
> > I've wanted to get Webmin running on these bad boy HP's that I work with
> > running through https.  So far I've had to grab and compile perl, gcc and
> > binutils (for the two boxes that don't have an ansi C compiler), Openssl,
> > and webmin.  Everything works right now except Net::SSLeay so connections
> > to webmin are are limited with http.  Openssl compiled fine.  I've even
> > got OpenSSH working so I know Openssl is good.  Why Net::SSLeay craps out
> > on the linker is the only stumbling block I have left.  Any ideas?
>
> Did you build libssl.a yourself?  If so, which compiler did you
> use?  Did you specify -fpic (for gcc) in compile options?
>
> Kevin

Yep, I compiled libssl.a myself.  One of the boxes has a 64 bit proessor
and gcc has issues with that still (full support comming in gcc 3.0).  On
that box I have an ansi C HPUX compiler.  The other two boxes have a
non-ansi C compiler by default so that's why I installed gcc and binutils
on them.  So, openssl was compiled by gcc on the two 32 bit processor
boxes and by cc (ansi C complient) on the 64 bit processor box.  All three
give the same error on the linker.  I've recompiled openssl just to make
sure it's being compiled with the right compiler and it is.  I didn't
specify -fpic on the gcc build and can't remember what the makefile
did.  I'll run through it again and see what happens.  Any other ideas?

Don