ImageMagick as user install

J.L.Francois jlf@magusnet.gilbert.az.us
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 07:56:13 -0700

It seems like on Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 06:40:42PM -0700, Armin Hartinger scribbled:
Orig Msg> Hi List,
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Ok, here's the challenge:
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> I'm sitting on a mountain of images and daily there are more coming. Now
Orig Msg> I need to take all of them and transform them to different sizes, the
Orig Msg> smallest will be transparent GIFs. I'd like the write both shell as well
Orig Msg> as PHP scripts to manually process those.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> I think the ImageMagick library of tools will do the job best. It's at
Orig Msg> http://www.simplesystems.org/ImageMagick/
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Now my problem. I neither manage to compile it properly (I think it only
Orig Msg> compiles right as root, which I don't have. At home, as root on my local
Orig Msg> box I got it to work fine) nor do the binaries (686-linux) work for me.
Orig Msg> It's complaining that it can't find the proper .so libraries, while I
Orig Msg> have added both the bin and lib directories where the binaries and .so
Orig Msg> files reside to my environment variables.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Can somebody try to get it to work as a user and point my towards the
Orig Msg> "right way" ?
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> I can't install it as root as I don't have that kind of access and the
Orig Msg> Unix-admins are "too busy" and backlogged for weeks. So my request won't
Orig Msg> happen anytime soon.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Please help.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> -Armin
Orig Msg>

You may want to reevaluate your requirements and take a look at the
NETPBM package.
It is designed to work in shell scripts and can do allmost anything
with images and a few non images too.

=====================
Package: netpbm
Section: graphics
Installed-Size: 1398
Maintainer: Steve McIntyre <stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Architecture: i386
Source: netpbm-free
Version: 1:19940301.2-13
Depends: bc, libc6 (>= 2.1), libjpeg62, libpaperg (>= 1.0.3-4), libtiff3g, libz1, netpbm1
Conflicts: netpbm-nonfree (<= 1:19940301.1-3)
Filename: dists/potato/main/binary-i386/graphics/netpbm_19940301.2-13.deb
Size: 541360
MD5sum: 9b51d6e308bd3fe47c480ae20edb529c
 Netpbm is a toolkit for conversion of images between a variety of
 different formats, as well as to allow a few basic image operations.
 It is based on the pbmplus distribution.

Jean Francois - JLF Sends...
President & CEO - MagusNet, Inc., MagusNet.com, MagusNet.Gilbert.AZ.US
MagusNet, Inc. - Design * Develop * Integrate
Director Of Managed Services - OpNIX,Inc., www.opnix.com
OpNIX - Simply Better Bandwidth
602-770-JLF1 - Cellular, ICQ:  8137851
My Certifications: http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=1214021
Doing my part to educate the Clubie Illiterati.  One LART at a time!