Help - Linux Install problem!

sinck@ugive.com sinck@ugive.com
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 07:56:23 -0700

\_ I can configure the interface eth0 (192.168.0.154), setup the host name
\_ (dell_linux) and add a second host (192.168.0.145). If I do not add an entry
\_ for dell_linux to the list of hosts, the machine reboots with one error
\_ during boot from http server that it cannot resolve the host name. Gnome
\_ (and X) start, but I get an error from X that says it cannot resolve the
\_ host name dell_linux. I can ping the other host, and even surf the web.
\_
\_ Now, if I add dell_linux to the list of hosts, the machine will not reboot.
\_ It hangs in the boot process when it tries to enable(?) sendmail.

I'm pretty sure sendmail is trying to do some lookups as to who it is.
Make sure that /etc/hosts is coherent with reality and that it matches
with 'hostname --fqdn'.  That should illiminate the startup problems.
Oh, and, um, make sure that anything in sendmail.cw resolves properly
too.

Booting will pass the sendmail...eventually.

David