Storm Rain Release (was Re: (no subject))

jkenner@mindspring.com jkenner@mindspring.com
Fri, 01 Dec 2000 15:51:31 -0500

plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us wrote:
>> Problems noted with the STORM Rain Release:
>Is Rain the most recent?
I doubt it. Its at least 75 days old, one of the reasons I specified the full name rather than just Stormix at the very beginning of the message. I picked up the CD for free (not a prize) at a PLUG meeting, and figured since no one else had, I ought to tell others what I had noticed, since odds are, others have this same CD at home.

[mouse problem]
> I haven't run into this with debian

Does the debian setup actually ask about your mouse? Storm RAIN release asks you to move your mouse in text mode, then once it verifies gpm is working, avoids having to perform the same doublecheck by setting up X with the repeater. Strange that it missed by middle button, however. I guess if it works, it seems pretty cool.

> What's the official stance on S3V vs. SVGA from the X consortium?
> That's what they should be using.

Cant say for sure on that one, other than that there is a 3.3.6 for S3V and SVGA servers, even though S3V was supported in SVGA 3.3.5. So obviously the people in charge of the packages are aware of Something In The Hardware preventing S3V from being fully bundled with the SVGA server.
>> * There is no support for libc5 binaries by default!
> They're pretty old by this time. Looks like you can add them. In
> fact,using apt-get or the Storm front end for it should
> automagically grab those dependencies.

Damn. I still have support for libc4 ...

> Ah, coming out of the bomb shelter to see how the world's doing :).

Pretty much. I think I'm crawling back in for a bit, heheh. At least until I can scrounge up the motivation and a new CD from either Debian or RedHat itself.

> fvwm is still my favorite window manager, but I've gotten soft and lazy

Me too!