Linux gig

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 12:23:13 -0700 (MST)

Am 30. Aug, 2000 schwäzte Mark Holbert so:

> I wonder how much that would cost per cart.  The reason I say that is,
> what about all the carts that are left in the parking lot, or better
> yet, hit by cars or "walk away" completely?  I would think that it

Ah, but they'd be able to track those down. Maybe this is a bit by the
local police to round up all the homeless as well as have just cause for
search warrants to get back all the milk crates stuffed into ASU
dorms! ;-)

> would be tough to create electronics that could take 116 degrees in
> Phoenix and -40 degrees in Minnesota, or a couple of bumps in the

Actually, there are several not too expensive embedded products that can
handle it. I looked at the boxen that RNi is sticking on rooftops
yesterday. A little bigger than a disposable camera. Works just fine on a
Phoenix roof in the summer ( somewhat hotter than 116 degrees fahrenheit
:). I was told the boxen meet milspec, which requires they work in very
adverse conditions.

> It's a great idea, and I love the fact that they want to use Linux,
> but it might be hard sell.

The key is, I think, that it's not a hard sell. I think a retail chain is
the group commissioning this, e.g. they want it, but need it to be coded.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
#  If you're not learning, you're not living. - der.hans