Linux gig

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 10:50:48 -0700

On Aug 30, 10:29am, Mark Holbert wrote:

> I wonder how much that would cost per cart.  The reason I say that is, what
> about all the carts that are left in the parking lot, or better yet, hit by
> cars or "walk away" completely?  I would think that it would be tough to
> create electronics that could take 116 degrees in Phoenix and -40 degrees in
> Minnesota, or a couple of bumps in the parking lot.  Maybe the answer would
> be that you are not allowed to take the cart into the parking lot at all,
> but how else am I going to get all that "stuff" that I just bought out to my
> car?  Maybe we go back to the time where someone actually walked out the the
> car with you and helped you load your car.  Wouldn't that be nice!
>
> It's a great idea, and I love the fact that they want to use Linux, but it
> might be hard sell.

I have no idea what the cost is, but this idea isn't exactly new.  A
number of years ago, the Fountain Hills Basha's store had some carts
fitted with a gadget which would display which aisle you were in and
allow you to look up the locations of certain items.  It was really
cool, but for some reason (perhaps even the ones you mention), the use
of these carts was discontinued after a time.

Kevin