DSL reccomendations? anyone using PSN?

Alan Dayley alandd@consultpros.com
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 22:31:34 -0700

I have had my Phoenix Networks / Northpoint DSL connection for a couple of
weeks now (today is 2 weeks!  Yeeha!).  Connection was smooth with no
problems and within the promised 60 days.

Northpoint evidently has a policy based on their experience that "older"
phone lines (I live in a 20 year old house) have a high failure rate for
not hitting expected speeds.  To overcome this, they don't even try the old
lines, they just have the phone company put in new ones.  So my neighbors
yard was dug up for almost 2 weeks while the new line was put in and up to
my house.  Nice 8 pair bundle.  No charge to me.

To top it off, they also don't share a line with your voice line.  So my
DSL is actually on it's own, brand new line for which I don't pay the phone
company and my voice line is completely separate!  I am only paying $40 a
month for DSL and ISP service and paying for one voice line from USWorst!

I don't know if they do that for everyone, but they seem to want everything
new and separate to avoid any problems.

Now, if I could just get my brain to think in Linux I could get my box up
and really do some cool stuff...  (and find some time to do it.)

Alan