editors

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Sun, 27 Aug 2000 06:52:13 -0700

On Aug 24,  3:34pm, Alan Dayley wrote:

> I am looking at the vile site.  No binaries for Linux, just DOS M$ and
> OS/2.  So I guess it is a "build your own" with the source code?

Yes.  [x]vile is highly configurable, both at compile time (as well as
at run time), so it makes more sense to build it yourself.  Still, if
you really want an RPM, they are out there.

The configuration line that I use to build xvile is

    ./configure --with-screen=x11 --with-perl --with-builtin-filters

After that, you do

    make
    make install

BTW, the reason that binaries *are* provided for non-unix systems
is that most users lack the tools necessary for building vile on
these systems.