New business startup help/suggestions/info needed

Lucas Vogel lvogel@exponent.com
Sat, 26 Aug 2000 14:25:34 -0700

To make up for the lack of potential customers with transportation you could
make it accessible by bus. Plus you gotta remember where there's a will
there's a way. People will find a way to your place if it's compelling
enough for them.

You could start with about 20-30 workstations, but also have places where
people could bring in their own as well. The pricing has to be such that
they won't go (totally) broke if they stayed there for long periods of time;
I think the problem with a lot of businesses is, they don't want you in
there so much as they just want you to spend your money in there and leave.
Pricing I think will be your biggest challenge.

As far as administration goes, I'm sure that there are enough admin skills
in the group that you could get enough help, maybe even a little training
too, to not have to worry about that all that much. Keep in mind that you
MIGHT not want to go with all Linux workstations; again, I don't know
anything about gaming but it seems like there are more games on Windows than
Linux, at least for now. I wouldn't necessarily set up all dual-boot
workstations, but maybe a half-and-half setup, or just a minimal setup so
that if a guy brought his windows pc in he can still participate in the
group(or online) somehow.

Don't forget pizza and dew, either.

Lucas Vogel