diffing special chars

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 17:30:31 -0700 (MST)

Am 25. Aug, 2000 schwäzte Kevin Buettner so:

> I used to do a lot of shell programming.  I don't anymore.  If I find
> myself writing a shell script that ends up being longer than six lines
> (or so), I switch to Perl.

I'm moving that direction. I'll admit, however, that I make a lot of
system calls in my nukeandpuke perl scripts :).

> I'm puzzled by this statement.  In the script I sent, you ended up
> with the names of all of the files in a single (array) variable so
> they could be sorted later on.  The actual contents of the files were
> never actually read.  Surely you don't mean that your filename data is
> 60+MB, do you?

Yup. I'm not talking about the contents of the files, but I like David's
compression mechanism. I'll have to ask him more about it ;-). I'm doing a
listing of everything on the system, which then goes for backups. Most
people (and myself most of the time) won't have this much, but right now I
do :). Ever seen a shell using 150MB of memory? :) It's a great way to
kill init...

The only reason I mentioned it was file listings instead of just being
random, but in the same order, strings is that I'm interested in getting
find and tar to list the files the same way.

Oh, and yes, I know this ain't the best way to do this computer-wise, but
I'm trying to get something simple that beginners can sink they're teeth
into.

> Regardless, you really do need to do the sort, because you can't rely
> on find (or Perl's File::Find) to list the files in any particular
> order.  If you want to diff two lists of files to see what's been

Actually, I do fine. Things get written in the original order, then read
back in the order they were written, so I'm fine.

> added or deleted, you'll need to do some ordering on the list.  You

The goal is for the lists to be the same. Once I have the failover working
I'll see if a checksum works right when they do match, but the failover
has to work and I have to get everything written in the same format.

> don't need to sort in perl though.  You could just use the sort program,
> but AFAIK, the data will still end up in memory.

Yup.

BTW, this went to discuss instead of devel because I thought it more of a
"how to config tar and find to work the same" rather than a devel
question. Guess I was wrong :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
#  The only way for a woman to change a man