diffing special chars

plug@arcticmail.com plug@arcticmail.com
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 13:18:04 -0700

Seems odd that GNU "diff -r" won't recursively diff
the dirs (akin to "dircmp") without choking on filenames
that have evil characters.  The GNU stuff is usually
pretty good.

Instead of "tr", could you tell GNU find not to do its
shell metacharacter autoescaping thing, and pipe find's
output through "strings -a" to strip out the evil
characters?

Admittedly, the perl solutions are MUCH better, but
this technique might "get you by."