diffing special chars

J.L.Francois jlf@magusnet.gilbert.az.us
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 20:24:21 -0700

I just took a look thru my copy of
Mastering Regular Expressions ( O'Reilly ) a.k.a The Owl Book.

It looks like this can be done in bash but I am not willing to spend
the time creating something that no one will ever be able to
read or modify. It looks a lot easier in Perl.

Trust me, anyone that has done RegExp scripting knows what I mean
when I say a regexp takes one week to being incomprehensible.

Get the book and give it a shot. It should be worth it.

JLF Sends...

It seems like on Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 05:58:08PM -0700, der.hans scribbled:
Orig Msg> Am 24. Aug, 2000 schwäzte shadoi@soulmachine.com so:
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> > Maybe piping the output from ls -b or find to tr with some options
Orig Msg> > would do the trick.. Maybe using grep to pull out only the ones you
Orig Msg> > want to fix for speed..
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> With tr I have to take into account all the special chars :(. It won't
Orig Msg> change "\ " into " ", since it only works on single chars. Rod's
Orig Msg> suggestion of sed looks like it should work, if I can get sed to behave
Orig Msg> the way it seems it should or failing that find out how sed actually
Orig Msg> behaves :). That would actually fix something else for me as well.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> For now I'm using perl on the file after it was created. Already had to do
Orig Msg> that for something else, so it's not a great sin, just something else to
Orig Msg> try to move back to shell later on :).
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> ciao,
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> der.hans