diffing special chars

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 16:19:35 -0700 (MST)

Am 24. Aug, 2000 schwäzte Rod Roark so:

> Not sure I understand the question, but perhaps "diff -a" would be
> helpful.  Also "sed s/old/new/ ..." is not too ugly.

diff -a doesn't do what I need. Normally I avoid sed/awk :), but that's
not bad. However, it isn't working like I'd expect.

sh-2.01$ echo "fred\ wuz\ hier." | sed s/\\\ /\ /
fred\ wuz\ hier.

Two backslashes give me an error about an unterminated s.

I would still prefer ways to get "find" and "tar" to use the same method
for printing unprintable characters and spaces at the same time.

Thanks for the pointer,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
#  Help Jerry Lewis stamp out M$...oops that's MDA - der.hans