diffing special chars

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 23:12:56 -0700 (MST)

moin, moin,

doing a couple of filesystems lists and then diffing them to make sure
they contain the same files. I'm running into a prob with files that have
either special chars or spaces embedded in the name/path.

find wants to turn special chars into gobbly-gook, whereas tar renders the
escapes sequences. Use ls -b to turn the special chars into escape
sequences it also adds escapes for spaces, which tar doesn't do.

Either of these probs trips up diff when verifying that the file lists are
the same.

Anyone know a solution that doesn't require brute forcing with tools like
perl or sed/awk?

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
#  Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --