books

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 10:01:00 -0700

On Aug 23,  9:29am, Joel Dudley wrote:

> Also, I was playing with C and C++ a bit and I was researching
> different compilers.  Where can I find some good info on gcc and g++
> and how they compare to other compilers.

See http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/.

What kind of comparisons were you looking for?  Feature comparisons?
Performance comparisons?  If the latter, which architecture were you
concerned about.

Most commercial compiler vendors benchmark their compiler(s) against gcc.
(That was certainly the case when I worked for Metrowerks.)  With
respect to performance, gcc does quite well on some architectures and
poorly on others.  On those architectures where gcc produces suboptimal
code, it is usually just because someone hasn't spent the time working
on the optimizer for that particular architecture.

Kevin