Need word processor for Linux

Shawn T. Rutledge rutledge@cx47646-a.phnx1.az.home.com
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 20:55:33 -0700

On Sat, Aug 19, 2000 at 07:42:23PM -0700, mgcon@mail.neta.com wrote:
> I haven't heard anyone mention Lyx or Klyx!

Yeah, I mentioned it.

> What I like is that it will keep you focused upon
> the content, rather than putzing around with
> formatting.

I agree.  It's excellent for highly structured work like academic
papers or letters.  But once in a while you have a need to putz around
to do DTP-ish stuff or get your printer to make labels for your
file folders or whatever.  I haven't figured out how to do that yet,
but maybe it's possible, because a sheet of labels has a well-defined
structure, too.

Anyway I try to do everything I can with HTML or plain text, and use
LyX only for documents which will definitely never be anything other
than paper documents.  For instance, if you're doing a report at work,
doesn't it make sense to make it available on the intranet?  in which
case HTML is better.  You also have to be good with Photoshop or GIMP,
to render all the diagrams which get exported from various other tools.
The backward-thinking fools can still print it out, it's their karma;
but at least you're not making it hard for them to view it onscreen.

But I guess there is tex2html.  I was thinking of doing my resume in
Lyx, and using that to convert it to html.  Right now it's in HTML,
and every now and then some bozo asks for it in Word format, and they
bitch about HTML not being printable (since when?); or it's a headhunter
who wants to take my contact info out for confidentiality when they submit
it to some company, and can't figure out how to edit it out of the HTML
without making it look funny (yes, this actually happened once).
If it were in TeX, maybe I could find a path to convert it to PDF for
those subhumans.  Offer it in HTML, TeX, PS, PDF, and maybe RTF, and
then they'll be the ones feeling stupid for not being able to figure
out how to edit or print any of them.

--
  _______                   Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD  ecloud@bigfoot.com
 (_  | |_)          http://www.bigfoot.com/~ecloud  kb7pwd@kb7pwd.ampr.org