Upgrade problems: xmms-1.2.2-1.i386.rpm

Lucas Vogel lvogel@exponent.com
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 15:12:12 -0700

From what I can tell this kind of mishap occurs when you are trying to
upgrade/remove a base package that several other packages depend on. This
turns out to be a Good Thing(tm), because if those packages fail for
whatever reason you'll know what package caused the mishaps. Things like
this are helpful because if something changes in the newer version that the
older versions depend on and the like. Normally it is usually fairly safe to
just ignore the warnings and upgrade the package.

I was just thinking this week how nice it would be to see a feature in
kpackage or <insert you favorite package manager here> where instead of
uninstalling you had an option of uninstalling it into its own package
again. Instead of removing the files, it just repackages them into a
separate package again, the way it was entered.

Anyway, HTH...

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Berkwitt [mailto:mberkwitt@home.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 19, 2000 2:07 PM
To: PLUG
Subject: Upgrade problems: xmms-1.2.2-1.i386.rpm

I'm currently running Mandrake 7.0 which came with an older version of
xmms.  I found xmms-1.2.2-1.i386.rpm on tucows and using kpackage tried
an upgrade with the following GUI options checked:

x    update
      replace files
x    replace Packages
x    check dependencies
      test (Do not install)

Received the following error

    Dependency Problems
    xmms is needed by xmms-esd-0.9.5.1-7mdk
    xmms is needed by xmms-mikmod-0.9.5.1-7mdk
    xmms is needed by xmms-skins-0.9.5.1-7mdk
    xmms is needed by xmms-mesa-0.9.5.1-7mdk
    xmms is needed by xmms-gnome-0.9.5.1-7mdk
    libxmms.so.0 is needed by xmms-gnome-0.9.5.1-7mdk

Not sure what to do I tried to uninstall xmms-0.9.5.1 but received this
error message.

Error
Cannot remove /usr/share/xmms - directory not empty
Cannot remove /usr/lib/xmms/Visualization - directory not empty
Cannot remove /usr/lib/xmms/Output - directory not empty
Cannot remove /usr/lib/xmms/Input - directory not empty
Cannot remove /usr/lib/xmms/General - directory not empty
Cannot remove /usr/lib/xmms/Effect - directory not empty
Cannot remove /usr/lib/xmms - directory not empty

Ok, I just continued anyway.  I'd gone this far, what's the worst I
could do?

On installation of the newer xmms package I received this error

    Dependency Problems
    xmms is needed by xmms-esd-0.9.5.1-7mdk
    xmms is needed by xmms-mikmod-0.9.5.1-7mdk
    xmms is needed by xmms-skins-0.9.5.1-7mdk
    xmms is needed by xmms-mesa-0.9.5.1-7mdk

I proceeded then to install without a dependency check.

Oddly enough, it works, in-so-far as I can tell.
Would someone be so kind as to explain why these warnings were there?