SMB

Mark Peoples hondaman@mainex1.asu.edu
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 16:33:17 -0700

It doesn't matter if you are trying to mount FAT or NTFS...if it is being
shared, you are mounting via SMB. NTFS will only make a difference
permissions-wise, in a similar way ext2 works with permissions.

I've used:  smbmount //server/sharename /local/mount/point

You can also mount hidden shares, eg:
smbmount //server/hiddenshare$ /local/mount/point

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Saling [mailto:networkpro@email.com]
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2000 4:11 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: RE: SMB

Don,

# mkdir /mnt/winbox
# smbmount \\\\winbox\\sharename /mnt/winbox

...is working on my RH6.2 box.  I've made no changes to the default samba
install.  I used to have a RH6.0 box and recall the smbmount syntax being a
bit more complex.  Something like:

smbmount \\\\winbox\\sharename -c "mount /mnt/winbox"

...or something like that.  Wait, I am mounting a FAT partition.  What type
of filesystem are you mounting?  I'll have to try mounting an NTFS
partition.

...Kevin