My Debian Odyssey Begins...

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 01:16:12 -0700 (MST)

Am 17. Aug, 2000 schwäzte Nathan Saper so:

> Still, when I select C/C++ devel, I want to get all of C/C++ devel.  Just
> a personal thing.

Check for task-* packages.

fw2:/mnt# apt-cache search ^task | grep C
task-chinese-s - Simplified Chinese environment
task-chinese-t - Traditional Chinese environment
task-c-dev - Development in C
task-objc-dev - Development in Objective C
task-c++-dev - Development in C++
task-debug - Debugging of C, C++, Objective C and friends
fw2:/mnt#

You can probably leave out the Chinese tasks :).

This with apt-get is what makes debian rock. It's new and there are still
some refinements needed, but it's awesome.

Also, check out aptitude (and gnome-apt for Xwin). It's supposed to be
really great. I'll check it out someday...

> I like that it doesn't install X by default, but if someone selects X,
> I'd think it should be configured as part of the install process.

That should be part of the task-x-window-system package. Yes, it's
confusing, but it's even more simplifying :).

> Was not aware of the apt-cache tool.  Thanks.

Rocks, non? :)

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
# It's up to the reader to make the book interesting.