question for any C++ progammers

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 23:18:25 -0700 (MST)

Am 16. Aug, 2000 schwäzte Eric Samson so:

> I am pretty new to C++, compiling, etc., I really want to learn this
> stuff...  I am trying to figure out how to validate input from a user to
> make it accept only positive numeric values.  I was using a while loop to
> check it, but when the user enters an alpha character, I get stuck in the
> loop of death, I am sure many of you have experienced this.  I asked my

dig = getchar();
while (isdigit(dig)) {
	do_stuff;
	dig = getchar();
}

You might want to also allow room for a dot, so as to check for decimals,
but I think this does the basics of what you want. It's been several years
since I've done any c/c++, though.

> instructor how to do this, but he said that he wasn't sure.  would an if
> statement nested in a while loop solve my problem??
>
> Sorry about these newbie questions, but it's my second week in the class.. :

No prob. You might want to join the devel list, though. That's a more
appropriate place for devel questions.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
# Knowledge is useless unless it's shared. - der.hans