Linksys router

Barnett, Blake bbarnett@bloodsystems.org
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 14:24:23 -0700

I have been using my Cox@home IP for 3 months now, and I have it statically
assigned.  When I asked the technician who installed it if I needed to get a
static IP, his reply was "These are static."  I have a feeling he wasn't all
that on top of things though, and assume that they have rather long leases
on IPs in their DHCP configuration, but anyway...

Just make note of what your settings are in windows when using DHCP (i.e.
winipcfg) and set it up statically in linux.   Works like a charm.  Unless
you are planning to run a server with a real domain name (shame on you, read
your TOS!) then there's no sense in paying for a static IP, there are
dynamic DNS services for the poor man, why waste the money?

* Blake