my own domain and DNS

Tim M. Sanders tsanders@mvista.com
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 10:26:19 -0700

Sorry for the long email, but I am struggling and wanted to make sure
I gave all the info that I had.  Thanks in advance.

I run Mandrake 7.0 and BIND 8.2.2

I have recently go my own domain, thesanders.org.  I am going to be my
master DNS server, with ns1.granitecanyon.com being my secondary.  I
want to let the DNS tables see the following:
thesanders.org
www.thesanders.org
ftp.thesanders.org
mail.thesanders.org

all resolving to my IP address.

I copied a friend of mine who basically does the same thing.  However
mine does not seem to be working correctly.  See my named.conf and
thesanders.org zone file below.  Also, how long does it take to get
informatin into the "world" DNS tables?  I have seen answers from 3 days

upto weeks.  Just curious.

Also is there a way I can get my secondary updated as soon as I update
my primary?  notify option?  create a secondary entry?

Files

# zone file (in /var/named)
@               IN      SOA     thesanders.org.
hostmaster.thesanders.org. (
                        2000080705 ; serial
                        3600 ; refresh
                        900 ; retry
                        1209600 ; expire
                        43200 ; default_ttl
                        )
                IN      MX      5       mail.thesanders.org.
                IN      NS      ns1.thesanders.org.
                IN      NS      ns1.granitecanyon.com.
@               IN      A       63.227.248.168
ns1             IN      A       63.227.248.168
mail    IN      CNAME   ns1.thesanders.com.
www     IN      CNAME   ns1.thesanders.com.
ftp     IN      CNAME   ns1.thesanders.com.

# named.conf file in /etc
options {
        directory "/var/named";
};