DSL reccomendations? anyone using PSN?

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 13:23:18 -0700 (MST)

Am 09. Aug, 2000 schwäzte Kevin Saling so:

> Are you describing, two-way service or one-way service or both?

Both.

> I don't know about two-way service, 'cuz I have never seen it...

It's the same as one way, just different :).

> In one-way service, the return loop is a POTS lines back to a TNT or some
> other dial-in device.  That's not shared.  Perhaps the media from the TNT

Phone line back up to speed choice isn't shared.

> back to the speedchoice backbone is shared, but I doubt it.  That leaves the
> outgoing traffic...  my understanding is that outgoing traffic is MMDS
> broadcasted on whatever frequencies (surely someone here knows them) and my
> hybrid router is only interested in packets destined for my IP address.

Ah, but that doesn't mean you're on a switched network. Normally your OS
only picks up braodcast traffic and traffic specifically destined for your
ethernet address. This is regardless of switched and shared, aka
hubbed. The difference between those two is that on a switched network
presumably the only traffic on the wire is that which you should be
seeing.

> Therefore, it only _routes_ inbound packets that are destined for me and
> ignores everything else.   This would explain why I don't see any other
> traffic when I am sniffing between my hybrid router and my NIC, huh?  :-)
> Now, if I inserted a sniffer between my hybrid router and the antenna, do
> you think I would see other traffic???  Hmmm.

That you would. They've broken the network down into several segments,
which is the different freqs, but there are many people on the same freq,
which is the functional equivalent of a ethernet segment shared by
hub. You can't necessarily sniff the network, but you're still fighting
for bandwidth. Switched is much, much better overall, but doesn't allow
you to burst and eat your neighbors unused bandwidth :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
#  Science is magic explained. - der.hans