DSL reccomendations? anyone using PSN?

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 13:16:03 -0700 (MST)

Am 10. Aug, 2000 schwäzte Blake B. so:

> ICMP is usually host or segment specific (selective IOW)... At least in my
> experience.  I don't think it would be sane for an ISP to globally block
> ICMP traffic.

They weren't globally blocking all ICMP, just ICMP type 7 or whatever it
is that ping uses.

BTW type 5, according to the ipchains HOWTO, should be blocked at
firewalls.

They should be blocking braodcast pings, not individual pings.

ping and traceroute: the bishops of networking ;-)

Imagine having a stock solaris box on a fastq network, now you can't go
diagonal at all! ;-)

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
#  Stell dir vor, es ist Krieg und keiner geht hin...