cabling and such

Mark Peoples hondaman@mainex1.asu.edu
Wed, 09 Aug 2000 22:06:31 -0700

I just compare the two ends of the cables.  'if they match they're patch'
=)

-----Original Message-----
From: Norman Lund [mailto:normanlund@kaos-solutions.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2000 10:07 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: cabling and such

Hello,

Just wanted to introduce myself and all... and to give my input and stuff :)

Might want to try the "unix administrators handbook".  (I think it's called
that.. pretty generic name.)  I read it a couple of years back, quite alot
of information about cabling for RJ45, Serial, Parallel, and the
miscellaneous odds and ends you need around the office here and there.

As for cat 5, thats pretty simple once you have it on paper (in your wallet,
or your brain...).
Clip down:

1                        2            3                       4        5
6        7                       8
orange/white      orange     green/white      blue      blue/white   green
brown/white    brown

crossover:
1                        2            3                        4        5
6        7                        8
green/white    green        orange/white        blue    blue/white    orange
brown/white    brown

That's what I go by... obviously the color coding doesn't matter for a
straight-through cat-5, but I follow it just to be on the safe side.

Just helping :)  take care.

--

Norman Lund
normanlund@kaos-solutions.com