fsck fails/lost+found questions

Mark D. Holbert mark@linuxsoftware.org
Sat, 5 Aug 2000 12:15:06 -0700

Eric,

There was a great article in the latest Linux Magazine (August 2000) about
Journaling Filesystems.  It covers the current extfs2 filesystem and how it
works down to the inodes and what happens during a crash, i.e. how a crash
causes lost inodes to be placed in the lost+found directory.  Here is a
quote from the article...

"...all of the entries in the corrupted directory can be "lost," (which
means they get linked into the lost + found directory for each filesystem.
Blocks put into the lost + found directory are in use, but there is no way
to know where they are referenced from)."

The article then goes into how a journaling file system works and
descriptions about each that are going to be available in the near future
such as XFS - from Silicon graphics, JFS - from IBM, Ext3fs from Stephen
Tweedie and Red Hat, and others.  The article will be found at
www.linux-mag.com as a back issue in about 2 months as they won't put
current issues on the web.

Hope that helps.

Mark Holbert