ipfwadm, ipchains, iptables

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 21:19:44 -0700 (MST)

Am 03. Aug, 2000 schwäzte Blake B. so:

> So iptables are only available in the 2.4test kernels?  What are the

It was available starting in 2.3 and hasn't been backported. 2.4test is
the latest in that series.

ipfwadm is 2.0.x
ipchains is 2.1.x and 2.2.x
iptables is 2.3.x and 2.4.x

> benefits of iptables over ipchains?  Is it worth migrating 3 or 4
> firewalls (some far more important than others..) that I have setup with
> ipchains to tables?

Nick's been very happy with it and only occasionally runs into any
instability. I'll be sticking with 2.2 and ipchains on my firewalls for a
while as I never run into instabilities :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
#  I'm not anti-social, I'm pro-individual. - der.hans