icecast

Barnett, Blake bbarnett@bloodsystems.org
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 14:58:42 -0700

Thanks... Yeah I was rather nicely surprised at the quality at such a low
bitrate myself.  I'm setting up basically just a playground for myself and a
few friends.  All the perks make it pretty fun.

If I can ever get a high-speed dsl connection out here (like 2.5mb or
something.)  I'll put up some real game servers and such.  I helped admin
one in Utah at an ISP there... man was that a blast.  And it was fun to show
those guys what a linux game server could do compared to their windows
boxes.

*  Blake

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Vanecek [mailto:mike@mjv.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2000 2:50 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: icecast

Man, that rocks. Played with XMMS at 32KBps and 22Khz - even cranked up
it sounded great. Unlike Real - I didn't experience any cut-outs for
re-buffering until the third song, but that's probably one of those
technical difficulty (tm) type things... God bless GPL'd software - I'm
gonna have to do research into Icecast. I'm a local POP for an
out-of-town ISP - while I like them and business is good, I'm working on
getting my own equipment. Adding perks like Icecast and a game-server
would be great. I'm wondering if there's an Opensource clone of Real
Server...

Mike