Parental Controls and Linux

J.L.Francois jlf@magusnet.gilbert.az.us
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 19:23:17 -0700

Let's be reasonable.
I have an 8 yo girl and 16 month old son.
How I decide to monitor/filter their access is my parental right
and how anyone else does it is theirs.
I am all for parents doing *anything* to monitor access.
The INternet was not built for children so lets keep that in perspective.

ObLINUX:
I am happy to report that my dedicated MP3 player for the
family stereo system is a success.
I have ripped every CD we own and created custom lists for XMMS
tied to logins.
When my wife logs in it launches X and xmms with access to
all music in her playlist.
When my daughter logs in or uses my sons login they get access to
different music selections in their playlists automagically.

Parental control can also be entertaining!

This is the type of thing Linux lends itself to.

JLF Sends...

It seems like on Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 01:14:38PM -0700, Mike Starke scribbled:
Orig Msg> I agree with you both. I have met David's children, so I know
Orig Msg> he is doing a good job, they;re great kids.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> I think what David's point was that even though that little
Orig Msg> girl had accidently hit the wrong URL, so what. My daughter
Orig Msg> has done the same.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Good home teaching/office policies are what dictate whether
Orig Msg> you or the child decides that it was, indeed, the wrong
Orig Msg> place to be. And, as a result, decide to stay or go.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> It's a tough line to be on when you are in the technoligical
Orig Msg> drivers seat.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Mike