CVS and WindBlows Client

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 10:03:57 -0700

On Aug 1, 10:53pm, David Demland wrote:

> I am trying to prove that we can use CVS instead of VSS by
> MicroSaft.  I have a GUI client for WindBlose but I can not get it
> to connect to the CVS server on my Linux box.  The documentation
> says that it needs port 2401, this seems to be empty but every time
> I try to connect to the port there is a failure.  I do not know how
> to fix this.  Does anyone have an idea?

As Rod mentioned, I think you'll need to set up inetd.conf to
invoke "cvs pserver".  See the section entitled "Setting up the
server for password authentication".

With regard to CVS vs VSS, I can tell you that when I worked for
Metrowerks, we used VSS for our source code control during the first
couple of years that I was there.  It was a nightmare.  It was totally
unusable for remote employees and it was extremely slow and unreliable
for even the local people (in Austin).  Metrowerks had developed (and
was shipping) a Mac client which worked with a VSS server, so they had
a considerable in investment in making it work, if at all possible.

After reviewing a number of options, the company eventually switched
to CVS.  CVS is not without its problems, but it is much faster and
much more reliable than VSS.  From my perspective (being a remote
employee), the really good thing about it is that it allow remote
employees with fast, secure (via ssh) access to the company's source
code repository.

Kevin