Fwd: Re: [azipa] Perl/CGI help

Mike Cantrell yomahz@devnull.org
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 19:35:35 -0700

Unfortunately, I didn't get your attachment so I can't review your code.
CGI debugging can really suck sometimes... What I usually do is create a
debug log and throw print statements in everywhere so I can make sure
the variables contain what I think they do. I also use the stict modual
which helps prevent spelling mistakes with variables.

try this at the beginning of your code:
---cut here--
use CGI::Carp;

BEGIN {
    use CGI::Carp qw(carpout);
    open(LOG, '/tmp/web.log')  #or 'c:\temp\web.txt' in your case
        or die "Unable to append to mycgi-log: $!\n";
    carpout(*LOG);
}

print STDERR "testing debug log\n";
--end cut--

You can use the strict module which makes you declare your variables
before you can use them... it helps alot with spelling errors and makes
your programs a little faster...

put this at the beggining of your code:

--cut here--
use strict;

my $variable;   #declare variables with my before you use them.
my $string = "value";   #you can assign values while declaring

--end cut--

Good Luck... if you want to send me the code, I'd be happy to look at
it.

Regards,
Mike Cantrell