SGI is coming to town - Linux University Seminar on April 20

James Amendolagine amendola@altavista.net
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 17:29:22 -0700

Lucas Vogel wrote:

> Has anyone signed up for this?
>
> http://ww.sgi.com/events/linuxu/locations.html#Phoenix

I was there today.

Here's what I got out of it:

I'm into OpenGL so I was most  concerned about that.

 -They are coming out with a linux graphics PC that should be out in May

     - It will cost about $2500
     - The PC is mostly just standard stuff except the video card which
is SGI's own version of the NVIDIA GForce or Quatro.
     - The linux driver for the card will work with other vendors
versions of the card ie. from Sound Blaster,
         -- but -- since their card will have some custom SGI chips, the
driver will enable extra features for their hardware.
     - The guy doing the OpenGL demo was not really all that up-to-date
about mesa (OpenGL clone). He said that there
        was no hardware accel in Mesa -- Not true GLX UTAH has accell
for ATI, Matrox, S3, Intel Nvidia (week accell)
        -- did I miss any? + 3dfx has had accel for years.
     - They will be using their own version of OpenGL. No mention of
helping out Mesa. --That's too bad.
        - Hopefuly the problem was just that the guy who gave the
OpenGL talk didn't quite know what their stand was.
        - In the morning introduction, the a different speaker was
saying that SGI was doing their best not to fragment linux. So they
           offered their kernel code to the comunity, and would throw
away any code that was not accepted by the community.
           -- it would be nice if they would do something simillar with
OpenGL / Mesa.

Jamie