SprintPCS Wireless Web

Patrick Stoddard wd9ewk@yahoo.com
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 08:17:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hi!

--- "der.hans" <PLUGd@LuftHans.com> wrote:
> Drivers? We don't need no steenking drivers! :)
>
> Well, OK, this is only in theory thus far. Use a data connection kit
> plug the phone into the serial port, then use normal ppp for a serial
> modem. Sprint claims they're getting 14,400 and that should be going
> up
> this summer (maybe all the way to 56k).

All true.  I have the Nokia 6185 (dual-mode/band, no built-in browser,
data capable with cable), and it gets 14.4K as advertised.  According
to the Nokia specs, the phone has a V.90 modem capable of 56K built
into it (and unlike Sprint PCS propaganda, claiming that the phone has
no modem in it).  The phone will function OK as a modem with a simple
ATZ followed by your dialing string, but there is a useful part of the
manual that comes with the cable and CD with the preferred init strings
for the phone (one for data use, one for FAX use).  With the init
string
for data use in my configuration, no problems.

> Same method should work for PDAs that can hookup to a db9. Might need
> gender bender for that.

If it works on a Linux system, this should work also.

> Have you found any wireless URLs that work aside from the handful of
> one's
> they've sold? I couldn't give a rat's ass about what amazon or espn
> have,
> but there are some other places I'd like to be able to get to. My few
> attempts thus far have failed.

Again, without the built-in browser on my phone, I can't speak to how
web sites look on the phone.  That's where the laptop comes into play.
This phone, with the $9.99 add-on so my monthly allocation of minutes
can be used for both data and voice calls (instead of 39 cents/minute
for data calls, treated separately from voice calls without joining
a Wireless Web billing option), and that FreeWWWeb ISP, all work OK for
me.  I was using my phone with my laptop at the last PLUG meeting in
Scottsdale..... with Ethernet hubs and a masquerading firewall script
it could have been a (s-l-o-w) way for those at the meeting to hit the
Internet.

At least this is one option for me, who does not deal with USWest (I
yanked the USWest phone out of the house over a year ago, going with
the PCS phone as my "home phone"), if I need to get on the net from
the house.  But I am still putting together the pieces to make my own
wireless link between home and office for my net access at home, which
won't use the PCS phone (no cable-modems in my neighborhood - south
Glendale - for another 2 or 3 years, no DSL for now, don't want to pay
so much for SpeedChoice).

Patrick Stoddard