firewall

Mike Sheldon msheldon@desertraven.com
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 14:53:20 -0700

I believe the ports you will need to leave open for NetBIOS are TCP:138 and
TCP:139

The ideal is to put the public servers in the DMZ, and allow NetBIOS traffic
between the private zone and DMZ, while blocking NetBIOS access from the
outside and allowing port 80 from the outside to the DMZ. I've worked for a
company that is set up this way.

If I remember right:

outside to private: no access allowed.
private to outside: NAT
private to DMZ: unlimited access for specified private hosts (development/IT
group only)
DMZ to private: limited access to development/IT and private database
servers.
outside to DMZ: port 80, 443, 25, etc... only
DMZ to outside: port 80 and 443 *replies* only, port 25, etc...

Michael J. Sheldon
Internet Applications Developer
Phone: 480.699.1084
http://www.desertraven.com/