Questions about sendmail

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 21:59:07 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Wizaerd wrote:

> While testing it on this local machine, I'd like to be able to send an email
> notification to three various email addresses I have (through work and other
> domains I own and are hosted with web hosting ISPs...).  However the mail()
> in PHP requires a sendmail directory instead of an SMTP server, so am not

Does it require a sendmail dir or a sendmail binary? e.g. is it making a
call to /usr/sbin/sendmail? If so you don't need sendmail running. Also
you could use the "sendmail" executable from qmail, postfix, exim or
whatever mailer you want to use.

> quite sure how to proceed...  I've never used sendmail before at all, and
> have an O'Reily book for it, but it's confusing as h*ll...

Ain't it? :)

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.OpNIX.com
#  Magic is science unexplained. - der.hans