adding Windows carriage returns

Victor Odhner vodhner@primenet.com
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 10:36:34 -0700 (MST)

------_=_NextPart_001_01BFAA17.505AA230

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Patrick Rhodes wrote:
> I have text file in Linux that I need converted to Windows.  From what I
> understand, I need to add an extra carriage return or line feed at the end
> of each line to read it properly in Windows.

First, check that your system doesn't have a utod (Unix to DOS)
command.  That would just be a pipe command.   utod < foo > foo.dos

Otherwise, here's a little Perl program:

while (<>)
{
  s/$/\r/;
  print;
}

Type this into a file (call it utod.pl) and then do this:

perl utod.pl < foo > foo1

and foo1 will be a carriage-returned copy of foo.

Good luck,

Vic

------_=_NextPart_001_01BFAA17.505AA230--