ppp dialup.

Don Harrop don@nis4u.com
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 11:02:46 -0700

I have two RH 6.1 systems at home that I'm using to learn with..  It seems
that a ppp dialup connection has always posed some sort of challenge to me.
It turns out that an "out of the box" install of RH 6.1 has a broken ppp rpm
package and you need to upgrade or it'll need to dial up twice to establish
a connection.  Not a big deal after you already know this.  Now I've got a
problem with one of them using an incorrect ip address as it's gateway.
When I used netconf to configure my ppp0 and my network config I entered a
wrong ip address as my gateway.  After reading the /etc/log/messages file I
figured out why it's not connecting and changed the gateway ip.  My gateway
ip is now correctly entered but it's still using the old 'wrong' ip address
when I ifup ppp0.  It tells me it is in my /etc/log/messages.  Why isn't it
using my corrected ip address?  I know the change is there by looking at my
/etc/sysconfig/network file.  I misconfigured the other box too but it
happily connects to the internet regardless.  I used grep to look through
all my .conf files in the /etc folder recursively and can't find an entry
with the wrong gateway ip.  Is there another config file somewhere else
that's storing this ip?  I'm confused.  :-8...

Don